Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Snake!!



The girls and I made a quick trip to visit my Mom, sister and nieces on Monday (before it started to snow). CJ always wants to go look for snakes with her cousins... yes there are MANY garter snakes where they live. We did a lot of high steppin' (that'd be me) through the grass in the field where they usually are and CJ was a little disappointed not to find any. We continued on our walk and Auntie let out a scream then ran after a snake. Oldest cousin picked it up, handed it to CJ and she played with it all the way back to Auntie's. Imagine city kid CJ letting it squiggle through her (gloved) fingers.


I must really love my children because I let them
bring it home!


I was terrified that it would get loose in the car and we'd crash, but we made it.
I didn't sleep very well all night. At one point I heard hissing but refused to get out of bed just in case. I later realized it was our cat hissing at neighbour cat outside. Whew.
Snake was still in it's cage. After 24 hours in our care it was then relocated to school where all the city kids can enjoy observing it before it is released far far away from my house!

Next the girls want a salamander!

5 comments:

Sandra D said...

You are an awesome Mom to be able to put your own fears aside to allow your daughter to bring home a snake! She will always remember this - let's hope you get extra special treatment on Sunday (Mother's Day).

Jenn said...

ahhhhhhhh!

I would have screamed too! Love that you brought it home though and then sent it off to school for observation. I am sure the kids got a huge kick out of it!

Kari said...

Your an awesome mom... There is mo freak'n way I would have let it within 10feet of me...let alone in my car, house. Let's be honest I would not have taken the kids on the trip if it's main reason was to find the snakes.

Your the greatest mom :-)

sassy said...

eee-keep it away from 13th street too!

Anonymous said...

We are loving the snake, IN THE AQUARIUM. Thank you so much for helping to enhance the science center in my class. The children are happy to see her moving. They think she is finally getting used to our busy class.